Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Using the GAME plan with my students
I have learned that the GAME plan is something that is really helps organize your thoughts and reach your goals. I really feel like this is something that would work with my students. As I examines the NET-S I realize that the terms used would not be something my first graders would understand. I thought about making the wording more kid-friendly and conducting a student survey using www.surveymonkey.com. The students would visit the site and then I would group the students together who had similar interest. The groups would work on creating a GAME plan to reach their goals. I considered giving each group chart paper to write down their GAME plan. I would hang them in the room so that the students could see their goals daily. We would try to discuss our goals daily and evaluate once we have carried out our action plan. Do you feel like this would be an effective way to carry out the GAME plan with first graders?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I totally agree that as you read the NETS-S they are not easy to understand especially for such young students. I think they are beneficial but would have to be put into "kid" terms so they would be able to utilize them and make meaning from them. I love your idea of the groups with those students who have similar interests. This would be a great way to get them motivated to learn and work with those who have very similar needs and interests as they do.
ReplyDeleteAmanda,
ReplyDeleteIt has been many years since I have been in the elementary building, but I believe you have a good idea in mind for your young students; especially making the terminology kid friendly. Maybe included with your daily charting of standards you could give groups stickers or stars for everytime they used one of their standards and reward them for reaching a specific number such as ten times. Do kids even still enjoy getting stickers? I hope so!
Great idea,
Stephanie Coultrip
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI also agree that the NETS-S could be meaningful to younger students if they were written in language they could understand. It may also be beneficial to break the performance indicators down into small and manageable sections, as I am certain your first graders are not overly experienced using technology.
The standards are meant to be attained over many years and at various levels of complexity. You might consider learning only one form of technology at a time. For example, your students may all set goals that have them improving their abilities using Microsoft Word. This is just an idea. You may already do this in your classes. I coudn't imagine having a class full of first graders attempting to learn and use different technolgies at the same time!
Displaying the goals on chart paper for the students to look back on will help to keep them focused throughout the process. Following the GAME plan while learning about technology is an ongoing process. It may take them a long time to reach their goals, so having a reminder along the way will keep the process alive.
Kristin
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI think this is a great way to get your students on board with the NETS standards. I also thought the wording would be confusing for primary students and modifying them for your students is a good idea. I also like that you will group students based on interest to set their goals. When they have that accountability of the groups, they can not only share ideas of how they are reaching their goals but they can also compare their progress with one another. Good thinking!
-Ashley
AMANDA,
ReplyDeleteI agree that the NETS are beyond the reach of first grade students when it comes to understanding and that it would be practically impossible for them to set goals with respect to those standards through a GAME Plan. As their teacher I would see these standards more as skills to develop in the students and I would provide them through relevant activities the opportunities to forge those skills.
Michel
Hello Everyone,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the encouragement. I think making the wording kid friendly will be so beneficial for my students. Stephanie, I loved your idea about the stickers. I think it would reall motivate my students. I also agree that the students will be motivated by their group which helps them with their accountability. Thanks so much for your support and ideas!
Amanda