Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Evaluating your GAME Plan Progress

As I reflect on my GAME Plan I realize that I am learning so much to reach my goals. I have realized that assessment is easier than I had first thought. Using a simple word processor or PowerPoint can be used and considered an assessment. I also have found that I will have access to clickers next year, something I am very excited to use. I feel that the actions I set in place were very helpful in reaching my goals. I feel that I have met my assessment goal is already met but I will continue expanding my assessment methods.

I have learned many things that I will apply to my instructional practice. My outlook on assessment has really changed. I had not realized how much control I felt like I needed to have over the way students show what they have learned. I now know that I can give my students options on the method in which they use to show their learning. By giving them options, I feel that by giving them some ownership over their assessment, it will result in a better project.

I still need to learn more age appropriate methods of technology to use with first graders. That is the main struggle I have had during my graduate level studies. I have found a lot of useful tools but some are not age appropriate. I try to modify some of the ideas to work for the younger ones. Does anyone have any helpful and meaningful ideas for first graders?

5 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    Getting to use the clickers next year will be a resourceful tool to add to your assessment bank. You will enjoy them.
    Learning age appropriate methods of technology for first graders would be a struggle, but do you see as years progress, your students becoming more technology literate? I am sorry I do not have any suggestions for you. The only recommendation I would share is to keep an eye open for any technology training sessions in your area; then modify as needed for your level... which you are already doing.
    Congratulations on achieving your GAME plan of focusing on assessment.
    Stephanie Coultrip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    I am in a similar situation as you. I will be receiving student responders sometime in the near future. I think they will open up the door to a whole new way of assessing our students. I look forward to the immediate feedback they will provide.

    Thinking about your first graders and technology, there are a few things that come to mind. I immediately thought of kidspiration which is a concept mapping program for young children. You could have them make concept maps using images instead of only words. I also thought about Microsoft Publisher. This program has a lot of templates that you could use with your students. You may need to work with them on this, but you could have them make calendars, newsletters, and brochures to name a few things. Finally, one of my personal favorites is VoiceThread. I imagine you have probably learned about this in one of your classes at Walden. It is a very easy program to use and combines audio and visual together. I like the fact that students can leave comments for each other about their work.

    Best of luck!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,

    I, too, am sure you will love incorporating the responders into your teaching. When I started using them a few months ago, I didn't consider the fact that my younger students would have to learn how to take a multiple choice test. Just learning how to answer the question with the answer they wanted was a skill that I had to directly teach all in itself. (Be sure to plan at least several responder activities to practice using them before you collect any data you intend on analyzing.)

    My first grade classroom colleagues like to use GarageBand to assess fluency in reading and have students self-assess as well. (I don't know if that helps you at all.)

    Congratulations on reaching your GAME Plan goals.

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda,
    I'm excited for you - the CPS systems are great! They can be used for so many things other than assessments too. I have used them to collect surveys and show graphs. I have also used them for classroom "votes" when we had to decide on something as a class. Once you see all the benefits, you will want to explore and find other ways to utilize the tool.
    Technology in the younger grades is a difficult thing at times. I know many of my kindergarten colleagues use KidPix and other picture making tools so their students can make mini-books. Being a second grade teacher, we just now started making Powerpoints. The one tip I can give you is let the students explore the programs you use. We spent an hour on Friday in the computer lab just playing with Powerpoint. They explored animations, pictures, design, and text. We didn't save and I wasn't expecting anything to be turned in at the end of the day. It will help when we go back on Tuesday and they will know some of the features they will want to use in their presentations.
    Congratulations on completing your GAME plan.

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thank you everyone for the great ideas. The trick will be going online at school and seeing what resources I am able to access with our strict internet blocks. Ashley, I know I have kidpix, so that is a great idea. I am thankful for everyones suggestions. I am learning alot that I am able to tailor down to meet the needs of my little ones!

    ReplyDelete