I have found that I am finding a lot of information just from this course that is helping me reach and understand my goals more. I believe this weeks learning resources really shed some light and gave me some great ideas for my first goal of designing and developing digital-age learning assessments. I realize that a lot of the media I am familuar with can be used as assessments. Take for example a word processor, I can use that to create a math journal for my students. It would be a better tool to use for open-ended questions, because I would really be able to read what they are saying because penmanship would not be an issue, something that can be hard to read when teaching first grade(Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). I liked the idea of using digital cameras and video cameras. These are tools I am comfortable using and have access to at my school. Somthing I am still waiting to hear about is the acccess to clickers. I like that it sends the results directly to the computer and gradebook. This would be such a time saver for the teacher and a truer assessemnt for the students. I considered what Dr. John Ross noted in this weeks video, it is important to have a variety of assessment tools (Laureate, 2009). I believe this will accompany my initial goal. Not only is it important to use technology but to have a wide variety of types.
As far as indicator #3 is another area I would like to improve, Model-Digital Age Work and Learning. I think by incorporating the use of different types of assessment using technology, I am also meeting this goal. It is interesting how theyt came together. I had previously thought of them as separate but really they are one in the same. I feel a boost of confidence that I can use technology to meet instructional and assessment needs.
Some questions I will still need to sort out are: how can I access the lab more often? What resources do I have available that I still am not comfortable using? When can I recieve training on those resources? Most of the questions I will have to take to my computer specialist at school but I am always open to new ideas and insight from my classmates!
Refrences:
Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore: Ross, D.
National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) located at http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Amanda,
ReplyDeleteYou seem to have a handle on following through with your GAME plan. Technology training always seems to be the hardest seminars to locate. I have been looking myself and it is slim pickings. If the seminar Using Cell Phones in the Classroom comes to your neighborhood, you should definitely attend. Not sure what grade level you teach, but the tools they shared with us can easily be adapted to any level.
A question I have for you is, do you have unlimited access to the Internet or do you have a filter which limits your access? This makes a huge difference in the tools you can incorporate into your lessons.
Stephanie Coultrip
Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the heads up about the training class. As far as your question goes, I have filtered access. Anything that I am unable to access and would like to, I have to bring before the technology commitee. If it is a school blocking choice they could lift the block but if it is from the county than there are more steps that have to take place. It makes some things difficult but I have learned you just have to make do with what you have and the students still benefit from that!
Thanks for your comments!
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteHave you had time to speak with your LSTC yet? They have some great resources. Also, you might want to talk to your media specialist. I know that after our school went through the retro-fit process, we got a lot of new technology tools to use like our digital visualizers. There wasn't enough for every teacher so we had to check them out of the media center if we wanted to use them. They are pretty cool. We also got some Mimio bars for our white boards. My advice to you is to go exploring around your school. You never know what you might find. My school didn't inform us of what we had, I just happened upon them when I was exploring the media check out room in our media center.
Ashley