As I reflect on my GAME Plan I realize that it is going to require a lot of effort on my part. It will be stretching me and changing ways I normally do things. To help me accomplish my goals I realize that I will need to reach out to others to learn more about assessment and learning new multi-media tools. I have already spoke to my technology contact at my school about using a vlog. He is checking on getting that approved through the county because of our strict regulations.
Also, I am looking for some professional learning opportunities that revolve around technology. This would be something I will need to talk with my administrator about. Last week it was brought to my attention about the use of clickers for assessment purposes. I do not think this is something we have at our schools but I am planning on talking to our technology teacher about seeing if we can get our hands on some.
I realize that I still have a lot of work to do to accomplish my goals. I think I have already taken some steps but I have noticed the lack of accessibility to some of the great multi-media tools I have learned through out my graduate work at Walden. The county I work for has very strict regulations about any blogging, vlogging, and researching. This is very frustrating. Is anyone else running into this problem? Any suggestions on other multi-media ideas that I could do with my first graders?
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI agree strict regulations can really hinder the creative, engaging lessons you could create and use if the regulations were more flexible. While I do not think I could video/podcast with my students (district regulations), I post podcasts all the time on my school webpage. With Audacity or GarageBand or similar applications you could have students maybe in pairs read a story they have practiced for a podcast (demonstrating fluency). You then could name each podcast either the name of the story or a name the readers choose (i.e. The Sunshine Group). Post the podcast on your website and send the link/URL address to parents (through an email is easiest so they can just click on the hyperlink) and parents can hear your students' podcasts. The readers do not have to be named. The children will tell their parents the name of their podcast.
As far as clickers go, not all schools in my district have them yet, but there are 2 sets of CPS (Classroom Performance System) clickers available for check out from our district library. Maybe your district has a similar set up. Additionally, if your school district has a district license for SMART products, it is legal for you to use the SMART software on your computer even if you don't have a SMART Board. The purpose for this is that you have create SMART lessons and students can come up to your computer (instead of the board) to manipulate the icons. (You would need to have a projector and screen so everyone in class can see and be part of the lesson.) Before my SMART Board was installed, my 1st grade music classes enjoyed doing the lessons about pitch I created with the SMART software just using my computer and a projector. My second graders made 4 measure rhythm compositions on a SMART template I made and shared their music with the class. (Everyone made a homemade instrument from things they collected at home, brought their instruments to class, and played them for each of the compositions that the students shared.)I hope you can find a useful idea in there somewhere.
Gwen
This sounds like a great plan. I will tell you from my experience that allowing to use blogging in the classroom has never been okay with my district. Just beware! I also have the clickers you are talking about just beware of the software not always working. I did a quiz this year and had my students use the clickers and at the end of the quiz the software did not record their data and we had to take the quiz over on paper. It is always something with technology though. Until we become masters at the software we use we will always have glitches. And if we never try we will never become masters. Good luck you plan looks great!
ReplyDeleteGwen,
ReplyDeleteThose are some really great ideas that I had not thought of. I did not know that I could use the SMART products without having a SMART board. I do have a projector and I know my students would enjoy the ability to manipulate the items and play games using my computer. Thank you for the advice and recommendations!
Amanda
Ms. C,
ReplyDeleteI think you make a good point that if we do not try we wil never become masters. I think sometimes technology can become intimidating and it requires effort to learn and perfect. The benefits of using them in the classroom, far out weigh the draw backs.
Amanda
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain! We have very strict regulations as well. Your greatest resource is your local school technology coordinator. They know all of the ins and outs of the county's policies as well as ways to use technology without running into regulations. One resource I like to use is Pete's Powerpoint Station - http://www.pppst.com You can find great interactive games as well as interactive Powerpoints for your projector. I think it is a good place to start.
Good Luck,
Ashley
I ran into the same issues, which you are facing, at the school that I used to teach at. The administration spent resources on silly things and refused to listen to gain input from the educators about how best to use resources. I thought that that was just how things were done because I knew of no other way, until I moved. I now work in a district less than 50 mile from where I used to be. I found SMART Boards in every classroom, other technologies readily available, and an administration that work with, not against, the teachers. Sadly there are not many solutions to your problem that do not involve you obtaining the technology for yourself, which can be quite expensive. I really only see three solutions: your administration has to change, you have to change, or you have to find a school or district that is different. Besides that, I would advise you to learn as much as possible, do the best with what you have, and lean on the administration for change. Eventually you will get what you want and your job will be much easier.
ReplyDeleteOnce you figure out what you can and cannot do, I would be glad to offer up any advoce that you require. Good Luck and hang in there!
--John