The past eight weeks I have learned a lot about how I can be more effective as a first grade teacher. I have found it highly beneficial to revisit different approaches on how my students learn and then take those approaches and learn teaching strategies to meet the needs of those learners. Integrating technology along with the knowledge gained from the learning theories allows students exposure to new and inventive ways to learn.
As I reflect back to my original "Personal Learning Theory" I feel that I have had a shift in my thinking. I originally discussed three main theories that I felt alligned with my thinking; Jean Piaget's cognitive approach, Jerome Bruner's constructivist theory, and Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences (Lever-Duffy & McDonald, 2008). I first felt that I agreed with these theories equally, but as I investigated in this class, I found myself leaning towards Jerome Bruner's constructivist theory. Jerome Bruner’s constructivist theory discusses learning as being an active process that develops from past knowledge (Lever-Duffy, McDonald, 2008). When students have an active hand in their learning, the learning becomes more meaningful (Laureate Education, Inc., 2008). I also have seen the benefit of using a spiral curriculum. Theoretical Foundations noted that constructivist theory "encourages students to discover knowledge with instruction organized in a spiral manner so students continually build on what they have already learned". I have seen a spiral approach really work with students. The key component is making sure the students have that foundational knowledge to build off of.
There are many new tools that I have learned in this class that I would like to take back to the classroom and put into practice. The first tool that I would like to take back with me would be virtual tours and link them with concept mapping. Virtual tours allow the learner to experience a place or topic that they may not be able to experience beyond the classroom.; I think this goes hand in hand with constructivist learning because it takes the learner on a trip where they can formulate their own opinions or thinking about a topic. The concept map is an advanced organizer that shows the learner how smaller information about a topic fits together to create a bigger picture (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). Another tool that I would like to bring back to the classroom is the use of a voice thread. I would like to introduce this as a cooperative learning approach, where the students work together (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).
I have created for myself some long term goals that I feel would make me a more effective teacher. The first goal I have for myself is to seek out information on new technology that will enhance my classroom. Up until this point I have yet to research technology outside of my education. I feel that there is a wealth of information and tools that I have yet to experience. My strategy to achieve this goal is to seek out staff development that focuses on technology, as well as discuss with our computer teacher on creating a staff development for the entire staff. I feel that by staying connected with our technology teacher, I can stay more current on new tools for the classroom. Another goal I have is incorporate technology at least once during the school day. Once I have achieved this goal, I will increase it to two times a day. I have recently received a projector and speaker system in my classroom that has opened up the doors to many opportunities to make technology an active resource in the classroom. I am constantly seeking out different ways to use this technology. I wish to continue to take advantage of these resources.
Resources:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2008). Program three. Instructional Strategies, Part One [Motion picture]. Constructionist and Constructivist Learning Theories. Baltimore: Orey.
Lever-Duffy, J. & McDonald, J. (2008). Theoretical Foundations (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment