Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Cooperative Learning

Cooperative Learning is a great approach that offers students the opportunity to work with peers. The strategies with this learning encourages students to interact with eachother to strengthen their learning (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski, 2007). I believe that this directly realates to the social learning theory. Both approaches have students actively engaged and working with others. What the students are learning is able to be taught in context with these approachers (Orey, 2008). It gives meaning to what the students are learning and therefore becomes more important to the learner. Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works reccomended these five basic componenets: "Postive interdependence, face to face interaction, individual and group accountability, interpersonal and small group skills, and group processing".

Multimedia, web resources, and communication software can be valid tools for cooperative learning(Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski, 2007). Multimedia would be a great tool for uppergrades. Allowing students to collaborate to make a video would not only be fun for the students but the class would be able to reap the benefits of the knowledge gained by watching the video at the end of project. There are also a lot of web resources available to aid cooperative learning. Keypal allows students to be virtual pen pals with students who live in other parts of the world(Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski, 2007). This would directly tie into letter writing as well as general writing strategies in the classroom. Lastly, communication software is another useful tool. Using the VoIP can increase communication capabilites with social learning (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski, 2007).

Cooperative Learning is a great tool because it allows students to share ideas and collaborate. When paired with technology it only increases their ability to work together and collaborate.

References:

“Social Learning Theories” featuring Dr. Michael Orey and Karen Casselman

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

3 comments:

  1. Mandy, I enjoyed reading your blog. I agree with what you said about multimedia tools being great resources for use with cooperative learning in upper grades. I wish that I could modify and utilize these tools in kindergarten, however it does not seem very condusive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I have run into some of the same issues. I love all of the resources we are learning about, it is just too bad that we are an able to use them with our little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy,
    I think that the KeyPals idea is a great means of utilizing technology! I have 7th graders in my Health classes next semester and they will all have a personal laptop to use in class. I think that using KeyPals would be a great way to start class! I would love for my students to discuss differences in nutrition, exercise, PE requirements in schools, sports, etc. in other areas of the world!
    Thank you and good job!!
    Trisha Smart (Faulkner)

    ReplyDelete