Thursday, October 1, 2009

Constructionist Learning

Constructioninst learning focuses on students being the active and driving force of their learning. The teacher's role also changes in this style of learning, rather than leading the learning, the teacher is the facilitator. She or He sets up the opportunity for learning to take place through various projects and activities (Orey, 2001). Students learn to work together and collaborate.

Generating and testing hypotheses is something that I view as a constructionist style of learning. This strategy is often viewed as a scientific concept but can be used in all areas of study (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). While reading this weeks reading I realized that a reoccurring theme was present through out the text and that was the term "student". The student is the active member during this process and the student is who leads the lesson. Generating and testing hypotheses is something that requires the student to dig deeper and can lead to a better understanding of the information being tested (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). Technology is able to aid the student in his and her research. In Using Technology with Classroom Instruction That Works, the idea was that technology took the time away from gathering data, which in turn left more time for interpretation of data. The spreadsheet software was a prime example, by having an interactive teacher created spreadsheet, the students did not spend time creating the spreadsheet and were able to focus on interpreting the information presented (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). The teacher still had in active role because the teacher created the spreadsheet, but the students were the ones investigating and interpreting the spreadsheet.

Project based learning also follows the constructionist learning style. Students are the ones doing the investigation and formulating their knowledge. Teacher provide the set up, monitoring, and then assessing the knowledge at the end. Students remain active during this learning style because they are engaged in their project and many times working together for a common goal.

References:
Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

4 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    You are right: keeping the rascals active is one of the keys to teaching these days. Once they tune out a topic there isn't much you can do to hook 'em. I agree with you that project-based learning is one of the best ways to construct a lesson, because it keeps them involved. It is student-centered.

    The difficulty in using PBL is that it has to be very well-planned if you have certain curriculum you need to cover in that lesson. If you are strapped for time it makes it even more difficult. And of course you have to design a rubric that will cover all of the possible project outcomes created by your kids.

    My experience in PBL is limited to BIG projects, like bridge-building, robotics, and science fair. What I need to come up with, if I am to use more PBL, are smaller and less time-consuming projects that are more focused on the specifics of my required curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,

    I could not agree with you more. You really have to be well organized to have a successful project. I think that is why some teacher avoid project based learning. It takes time and work to create one and in an already packed schedule many teachers avoid them. I think if done correctly, they are highly beneficial!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda and Tim,

    I agree with both of you that PBL is one of the best ways to keep the students active.PBL has to be very well planned because the teacher is the facilitator in the classrooms yet she/he has to prepare the lesson very well beforehand.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I am so impressed with all of this new technology and how easliy accessible it is. It is quite amazing what the spreadsheet software can do for teacher and student learning. I love how students can create their own hypothesis, research, collect data, and gain immediate feedback. Project based learning (PBL) has so much to offer students too, but I have to agree with Maria that it has to be very well planned out in order for the teacher to become a a facilitator. I look forward to planning a unit around PBL.

    Joy

    Joy

    ReplyDelete